Monday, May 4, 2009

Sierra-at-Tahoe's Huckleberry Canyon

3/09 unedited Tahoe Mt. News

By Kathryn Reed

Average. It’s a label I’m comfortable wearing.
Black diamond. Not so comfortable with experiencing.
My philosophy is average skiers should not be on black diamond runs. Maybe that’s why I end up on them somewhat unintentionally. A couple years ago my sister, Pam, and I schussed our way to a double black diamond run at Vail. We were hip dip in powder on a goggle day before we saw the sign.
It wasn’t until I started to do a little research for this story that I realized I was plowing through pow on a double black diamond at Sierra last month.
Sierra’s website says, “As with all double black diamond terrain, Huckleberry Canyon should only be accessed by expert skiers and riders who are knowledgeable about traveling in extreme and variable snow terrain and conditions.”
Considering I’ve lived to tell about the experience and I’m no expert skier, it makes me wonder if this statement is there to appease the litigious goofs of the world. Or maybe I should fess up and admit that I was traipsing through the trees because the resort had invited some media types up to experience their back country oasis that is now in-bounds terrain.
I had the benefit of skiing with Kevin Mitchell, who heads Sierra’s ski and snowboard school. Effortlessly he traipsed through the freshies, dodged looming conifers, leaped off what I think were boulders and never came near a crevasse, at least that I could tell.
This is the first season for these 320 acres to be patrolled and avalanche prevention measures in place.
The views and the terrain took my breath away. If only I were good enough to experience it all. Maybe I’ll have to hike it in the summer – if that’s allowed.
Entering Gate 1 off Castle had my heart pumping. I don’t enter gates. I tried not to be psyched out. It’s amazing how pride and ego can get you through things.
We all partnered with another skier or boarder. This is something everyone should do. Skiing in the trees should never be a solo event.
A few deep breaths and there I was picking my line, making turns of sorts, smiling and enjoying the quiet. Then suddenly I zigged when I should have zagged. I don’t know if I did a complete somersault. I was covered in snow, trying to figure out if I was stuck in a tree well or just resting against the trunk. It was the latter. I dug out my ski, got back into the binding, and dusted myself off, though not enough to remove the evidence of the gymnastics feat.
Before I knew it I was back on Grandview Express ready to do it again – only this time from Gate 2. Each of the five gates leading into Huckleberry Canyon gets steeper as the number rises. Each is a little more challenging. Harrowing and treacherous might be words a non-black diamond skier would use.
Still, I survived Gate 2. I took my time and followed the advice of a fellow media-skier who helped me guide my skis around the unbendable pines.
It’s not so much that the first two gates are super difficult. Part of my problem was peer pressure. I’ll go back with friends on my own terms. But I won’t go in too deep. I don’t have the back country training and I know my limits.
Mitchell says anyone going in Gates 4 and 5 should carry a shovel and avalanche beacon.
“You want to be well versed in route selection. You want to look for natural fall lines,” Mitchell said.
Sierra offers back country lessons (530-659-7453, ext. 150) where people can learn specifics about riding in Huckleberry Canyon, route selection and other tips for surviving beyond the gates where the grooming crews won’t ever venture.

No comments: